Question:
Neighborhoods in Austin Texas - Residents only please!?
2006-05-06 14:46:28 UTC
I'm a single professional gal in my early thirties. What neighborhood would I like? I'd like to be able to walk to everything, and would want a safe, fun neighborhood to call home. What would you recommend? What's the rent like?
Three answers:
jake78745
2006-05-07 05:56:52 UTC
Howdy future Austinite! I'm wondering if you're coming from somewhere else in Texas...if so, then you won't be surprised to find that like in most of the major cities here, nothing is really within "walking distance." (You can drive for an hour and never leave Austin.) Houses for rent tend to run in the 800+ range. Some of the nicer neighborhoods are: Terrytown, Travis Heights. Basically anything west of the interstate...happy hunting!
whomdini
2006-05-08 00:41:23 UTC
I would second the recommendation for Travis Heights. Sale prices for houses are way too high, but you can still find rentals that are reasonable. My wife and I just recently looked at a small, but newly renovated 1/1 house within walking distance of the SoCo (South Congress) area that was for rent for just under $1000/month.

The area just north of UT is nice too, as is the area west of downtown. Prices can be steep, but there are plenty of people looking for roommates. Craigslist will give you a better idea than I can of what rents are like.
akrai
2006-05-08 15:56:22 UTC
There are not many places to live in Austin where you can walk to everything. However, there are some neighborhoods that offer a decent balance. I am not sure if you are looking for a house, apartment, condo or duplex, so I will just suggest some neighborhoods and their surroundings.

SoCo (South Congress) area:

Trendy, upbeat neighborhood with lots of shops, eateries, salons and bars. One local corner market that has enough items. A not too far walk to the HEB (major food store). Accessibility to downtown area via foot, bus or taxi. One local, alternative movie rental place. Rent can range anywhere from $900 to $1500, depending house size and location to South Congress Avenue. Good for job locations south of downtown.

Clarksville (West Lynn and 6th St.)

A mix of yuppie and hippie w/ lots of trend. Great eateries such as Potabla and Chippolena. Walking range to trendy shops, salons, record store, video rental, gym and Whole Foods. Walk, bus, or taxi to warehouse district and 6th street. Rent can range anywhere from $1000 to $1600, depending on duplex, condo, apt or house. Balance between jobs north or south of downtown.

Hyde Park (north of UT campus)

Yuppie and student mixed neighbor with college town feel. Decent eateries, shops and amenities within walking distance. Closest large grocery store is Central Market (similar to Whole Foods). Good location for jobs north of downtown.

Beyond these neighborhoods, there are not many others that allow you the freedom to walk to most of your amenities. Peronally, I live in the Hyde Park area. It is far enough away from Downtown, but still accessible to it. I have lived in SoCo before it was the trendy place to be. I do not care much for it these days, but it depends on your taste. I have friends in the Clarksville area who never want to leave. I could suggest some of the downtown apts or lofts, but the rental price is beyond belief. I hope this helps.